In the gradebook, a grade item refers to an element, usually an activity, that receives a grade or mark for students. These grade items in the Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) can be either manually added items or items associated with an activity within the CLE. To understand the contrast between these two types of items, please refer to the table below:
Adding manual grade items to the gradebook allows you to grade those items without adding corresponding activities to the course page, e.g., participation, presentation, or assignments that are handed indirectly/physically (i.e., not submitted through CLE itself).
To add manual grade items:
- On the Gradebook Setup (Grades>Setup>Gradebook setup) page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Add grade item. The new grade item page will open.
- In the Item name field, enter a name for the column. Use short, alphanumeric names; Please do not use special characters, commas, ampersands, or quotes.
- In the Grade type field, select a type for the grade item.
- Value: A numerical value with a maximum and minimum
- Text: Written feedback only; no numerical or aggregated value.
- Letter: A letter value as defined by the instructor.
- In the Maximum grade field, set the maximum point value for the grade item.
- Click Save changes to finish.
When you add certain activity types to your CLE course, they will automatically be added as grade items within the gradebook. The most common examples are Assignments and quizzes, but you can also have graded Forums and other activities. In general, these will be items that are submitted or completed within CLE itself. Setting point values, due dates, and other relevant information for these are handled through the interface for that particular item.
To add activity-based items:
- Navigate to the course home page.
- Click the Edit mode button (top right of the page).
- Click the Add an activity or resource link from within a topic area. The activity and resource page will open.
Click the Activities tab and choose an activity from the list provided (Resources are not associated with the gradebook).
- Click the Activity Name. You will be taken to the Adding a new…. page, which is different for each type of activity. Provide a name and description for the activity
- Configure the setting for each activity as needed. Each activity has a unique setup process! Refer to other articles in this knowledge base, or contact us (email@example.com) for assistance.
- Click Save to finish.
- Repeat this process for each activity-based grade item in the course.