Both have biomedical content. Embase expands on MEDLINE (which is 92% of PubMed) with an additional 7 million articles from 2900+ journals that PubMed does not contain. PubMed has some newer information that Embase does not have (yet). PubMed is freely available to the world. Embase is a propriety database from Elsevier that UCSF Library has access to. Embase has a more intuitive interface making it easy to search. A comprehensive biomedical search would search in both databases.
Have more questions? Contact us
Topics in this section
- Get the PDF
- Patient and Family Support
- Which Database Should I Use To Start My Search?
- Build Better Searches in UC Library Search
- How Do I Access Pubmed via UCSF?
- How to Manage PubMed Results
- Medical Education Databases
- How to Perform an Advanced Literature Search
- Medical Education MeSH Terms
- How To Search ERIC