Media@UCSF is an online video hosting platform powered by Kaltura. The platform is integrated with the campus learning management system, the CLE, and provides the academic community with a centralized system for managing and distributing digital video content.
Instructors, students, and staff can utilize its features within the CLE. For example: instructors can post course introduction videos, accept videos from students for grading, and embed videos in quizzes. Students can share videos with their classmates in a course Media Gallery or forum.
- Optimized - Media is automatically optimized for streaming playback to accommodate different browsers and Internet connection speeds.
- No plugins - Viewers do not need special browser plugins to play videos.
- User-controlled - Uploaded media is stored in the owner's personal repository, and that media can be shared in multiple CLE courses.
- File types - Most common video file types are accepted, including MP4, MOV, AVI and more. Audio and image files are also accepted, including MP3, WAV, PNG, GIF and JPEG.
- Record - In addition to uploading, Media@UCSF provides free access to tools for recording video from your laptop and smartphone.
AnalyticsAnalytics provide instructors with detailed dashboards, in-depth, granular data and actionable insights on audience engagement and video usage.
DownloadingDownload video files out of the CLE from your My Media repository, back to your local hard drive.
Machine CaptioningAdd captions to all of your uploaded video content automatically and free of charge.
Media Assignment Provide a streamlined method for students to upload video and audio files to course instructors as a gradable assignment.
Media Gallery PlaylistsCreate custom playlists within a CLE course to display multiple videos in one player window.
RecordingCreate new content with Media@UCSF's built-in, free recording tools. This includes screen capture, webcam, and even a smartphone recording app.
Uploading and Sharing Upload audio and video content to Media@UCSF, then explore multiple methods for sharing that content with your students.
Submit a question to the UCSF Library’s Learning Tech Group.
- Embed Kaltura Media button - You can embed video content virtually anywhere in a course using the embed button on the text editing toolbar, including labels on the course home page, forum posts, pages, quiz questions and more.
- Media Assignment - This activity prompts student to submit video files for grading, instead of documents.
- Media Gallery - Within each CLE course is a Media Gallery, where students and instructors can upload and discuss video content. It's a great way to start conversations, and for students to share ideas with one-another.
- Recording on laptop - Capture is a desktop application the allows you to record from your laptop's mic, webcam, and even the screen (i.e. narrated PowerPoint videos).
- Recording on smartphone - KMS Go is a smartphone application that allows you to record video with your mobile device, and then directly transfer it into your Media@UCSF repository for sharing in the CLE.
- Video Quiz - Uploaded videos can be enhanced with embedded video quiz questions, forcing the viewer to pause the video, reflect on the content, and respond before continuing. More information is available in this tutorial video.
- Playback speed - The video player includes speed controls that allow viewers to speed up or slowdown playback.
The My Media page is the central hub for your video content in the CLE. When you upload a video to a CLE course, you become the owner of that video, and it is stored in your My Media repository. Your My Media repository is unique to your user account, and if you upload videos directly to the My Media page, they remain private until you share them in a course.
To access your My Media repository, click on your profile icon and choose "My Media" from the drop-down menu. Or, from the left-hand navigation pane, choose "My Media" from the menu.
The My Media page provides a list of your videos and access to tools for editing, uploading and creating new videos. Here are a few areas of the page to note:
- Filters, Sort By buttons - Change how your videos are ordered on the page.
- Add New button - Upload or record a new video.
- Actions button - Select multiple videos using the check boxes to the left of each video's title, then delete or publish. (Note: publishing happens automatically when you share a video within a CLE course.)
- Video titles - Click the hyperlink to view a video.
- Pencil icon - Click to open a tabbed interface that provides access numerous options and settings, including trimming, caption file upload, and owner transfers.
- Trash can icon - Delete a video (there is no undo!).